Saturday, September 08, 2012

Bandmaster Deconstructed...

 This is my Fender Bandmaster reverb amp. First amp I ever bought sometime in the early 1980s. It's from 1969 or so when America was the land of bigger and better. It's rated at 40 watts. Not really all that powerful especially when in this day and age a 500 watt solid state bass head weights 8 pounds. Check old concert documentaries from mid 60s rock festivals and you will see these big cabs paired with Dual Showman amps and the occasional Bandmaster head sneaking in there. It was the best back line you could find in those days.

There is some vintage value to these. I saw a real clean one in a music store for $1000.  Mine has a smoke ring halo that will keep it's value below that but it can still be consided a player. Why I did not have the good sense to buy up some smaller Fenders in the early 80s hair metal days when they were less desirable. I don't know.

Here's the speakers. Thirty five screws held the back on. I had taken this off one time before 25 years ago. I was too lazy to replace all the screws. The speaker on the right is bad fizzy, especially  when played with the baritone guitar. I am going to replace them. That's the reason for this deconstruct. The amp head itself sounds glorious  through my Fender Bass cab with a 15' Eminance speaker I installed there a few years ago.

Nice pine cabinet. Maybe I can get the kids to bury me in it. Only one peice of particle board seen here is the baffle between the speakers.


See that dust? That's mojo powder. I need to be sure to put that back on the new speakers when I get some. I checked the date codes on these speakers. They are an Oxford speaker made the 50th week of 1968.  I have some mixed feelings taking out this set of oldsters. Been with me a long time and lots of jamming done. They can be reconed. New speakers do sound awful good. A quick e-bay search shows that these can be had for $50 a pair. I'll let these go for $35 to any tinkerers out there.
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger