Tuesday, March 05, 2013

People I Jammed With This Weeekend...

 I was driving near Coldsprings, Texas yesterday when I spotted this lady sitting on her front porch enjoying a beautiful spring day and a song. Her name was Gloria. I asked her to play me a song.

She said "I don't really play, I just bump it when I sing." She passed the guitar the guitar to me and asked that I play a tune. It was horribly out of tune and with the howling noise of passing log trucks on the east Texas farm road 50 feet away from her front door I could not tune it either. I did get the red can guitar I made out of the car and played "Jesus is on the Mainline" for her. She said "You can play that thing!" 

Gloria gave me permission to make her picture. I think we have something in common. Take an instrument that no one else can play and make it your art in your own way. In the multi media world lot of people just watching. Take something and "bump it" and have fun. 

I jammed with Miguel at Rose's house. As you can see from his beverage on the coffee table he was drinking heavy. The blues will make you do that. I though I had the blues one time and it was not all that bad. Must not have been the Miguel blues I had. 

He's playing Rose's guitar. That's my baritone uke on the couch and partially hidden is his banjo uke. I love the sound of the bajo uke. We had a pretty good jam. 


After I left Gloria's house I soon arrived at Pop's. He's six weeks out after a hip replacement and is getting around well. I gave him the can guitar. He has one of the best ears around. In fact it the argument might be made due to the profile nature of the photo that it's the only ear he has. You do need a good ear to pick up the positions on the fret less neck of my homemade instruments.  We have a trip to New Orleans scheduled later this month and little does he know that my plan is for him to fund his portion of the expenses playing this instrument behind a well placed tip jar along Frenchman Street. Al he has to do is just "bump it." 


Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger