Wednesday, April 17, 2013

See That My Grave is Kept Clean...



That's the title of an old blues song by Blind Lemon Jefferson. That's a real guy. I did not make it up. He was from East Texas near Fairfield. Maybe they could get some tips from him down in New Orleans where you see Lafayette Cemetery No. 2 has fallen into some disrepair.

I was going for the art photo on my recent visit to New Orleans as we walked by this cemetery on the way to see the Indians parade in A.L. Davis Park. When Lafayette No. 1 got full somewhere around 1850 they started burying folks here in the above ground vaults that are required because of the low water table in the Crescent City.

It was a popular place with many "society tombs" for members of the Butchers Association, the French Society of Jefferson, the Coachman Benevolent Association and the Cotton Yard Men. It also had a section that at the time was called the "colored" section.

It is not much maintained anymore. It's pretty easy to read that fact as I looked up info about this place as well as notice the condition of things when you walk through. Don't walk through at night. I don't believe in ghosts and I also don't believe that security is much maintained after dark in this isolated, lonely place. 

That's ok. We can still do things for the folks in these old lost tombs. We can pray for their souls. Their earthly remains may be here but the soul has an everlasting journey.     Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger