Sunday, June 30, 2013

Music in Chicago...




I know Chicago is a big blues town but for some reason I keep gravitating to the hillbilly kind of stuff. On this trip we went to a club, Fitzgerld's and saw Bill Kirtchen. He's a former member of Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen and the author of the song "Hot Rod Lincoln." It was a country/rock/diesel bill/truck driving sonic assault.  

Great show with the most notable thing during the performance of Hot rod Lincoln Bill hollered out "and then I passed the Beatles in my Hot Rod Lincoln" and he played 4 bars of Day Tripper. Then he passed the Stones and played 4 bars of Satisfaction. Then he passed Merle Haggard and Buck Owens. Then he played 4 bars of Manic Depression as he passed Hendrix. Then he passed Santo and Johnny, Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, Howling Wolf and so on. Music fans can guess at the tunes he sampled, all famous guitar riffs. Great little bit of showmanship. Bill is also a great trombone player. He paraded through the crowd playing a yellow plastic bone. I did not get a good photo as he was moving pretty fast for a 65 year old guy. 

In fact Cathy had seen Bill before when he opened for the Eagles and Allman Brothers. We figured it up, it was years ago and Bill was about 25 and Cathy about 14. Neither remember the gig very well. You know, it's been a long time. 

Opening act was James Inveldt.I think I spelled that right. Good honky tonk stuff with good guitar playing and song writing all around. 

All in a all a great show with all kind of Fender guitar and amp goodness. If in Chicago this weekend there is a great little festival  with many bands I like being held at this club. 

  Posted by Picasa

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger