Friday, October 04, 2013

More Primitive Music...





Here's primitive instrument build #13. It's a one string diddly bow made from an item I found in Second Blessings thrift store. Don't know quite what this was in it's previous life. It had a thin wood handle almost as long as the ceder neck I used for a fret board only more flimsy. I thought some kind of bed warmer since it had an open end but some have suggested may be a peanut parcher. 


It has a nice nice tavern scene stamped on the front. Might be deceiving as the sound is pure African banjo. I offset the neck a bit. There was like an open end to fill with peanuts, hot water bottle, what ever and it seemed like with a bit of offset I would have a good hand rest to pluck from. 






Of course it's electric with a disc piezo pickup that sounds like THIS















Results of my neck finish job. I call it "Accidental Zebra." 
















This instrument is for sale. Pretty easy build without too much work and I'll take $25. Of course if you want to play primitive music and be like me when you grow up it takes a bit of a different mind set than a person has that goes down and buys the hottest new import the music store has to offer. Of course that import is going to be a perfectly gigable instrument and look like what everyone else has. With primitive music you got to mess with it, tweak it, fight it and not look like anyone else. You gotta look and sound like you. 
Posted by Picasa

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger