Friday, December 20, 2013

Pretty Easy To Get in on the Santa Act...


It's pretty easy to get in on the Santa thing around here. There's hats, there's suits, there's tubas and more. 

Yesterday me and Mary did the drum and tuba Christmas at the nursing home (surprise, I do have a day job) where I work. I played the tuba and uke and Mary played the bedpan/suitcase drum set. As you know we have a lot going on this year but maybe next year we will try to take this little show on the road. We have about 30 minutes worth of material and I figure we flesh that out with a few Eagles covers, I dance around a little more than I am already doing and charge $39,000 we will be good to go. 

Yesterday after the gig we came home and cut a recording of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. This tune dates to 1833 and the author is unknown.  It's a favorite Christmas song of mine for a couple of reasons. It lends itself very well to a drum break. Then there are of course there is the message. I particularly like the imagery brought forth by the line "to save us all from Satan's power when we had gone astray." And astray we go. I have received the call "ship to shore, Mudbelly we can't see you anymore" a few times myself. Now most of us don't go so far a astray under Satan's power that we kill or rob some one but we do commit the small sins. I am thinking about the small ones where we say bad things about other people or maybe another kind of people or that when we say these things we assume that everyone believes the same and is going to go along with us.  

So that brings us to the  last line of this old Christmas carol "tidings of comfort and joy." Pray for sinners. Hope for conversion. I think we will all be surprised when we enter that place of comfort and joy.   Posted by Picasa

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger