Monday, January 06, 2014

Made Two Guitars Today...

It's been a creative day. Working from 9am to 3pm with one short break to drive to the hardware store in Huntington I came up with two guitars. I had done the metal cutting on the gas can guitar some time back and one of the necks I had cut was for another project (ok all you jealous guys I do have some failure) so not a total today assembly but pretty close.  Here's what we have:
ON your left is Cuesta Rey cigar box that Morgan spotted a while back when we were thrift store shopping in the Hearne area. Cuesta and Rey were two gentleman who started a company to roll cigars in 1884. It's the official cigar of Spanish King Alphonso XI. The guitar on your right is made from a Thompson water seal can. I used the contents to treat the boards of my deck in the spring of 2013. It's a good product and I'll probably have another can available for guitar making in spring 2014. 
This is an interesting guitar and I am not putting it up for sale just yet. I want to do some recording with it. It's got a piezo pickup and I have already discovered that if you speak directly into the dish drainer resonator the whole thing acts like a microphone and the sound of your voice comes out the guitar amp. I see some possibilities for beat boxing. By the way Cathy liked the sound of this guitar through an amp and that's a good thing. By the way I can answer questions about what I was doing talking into my guitar later when I come over to your house. 
This box, being used had a sticker, nothing to do with cigars, on the lower corner that I did not like. I peeled it off and with it came some of the box covering. That's why the three reso covers and the jack in a row. They are covering a mark that gives the guitar some character. 
Nice polished metal gives access to the inner workings. This was a tough pickup insulation for my big hands.  

I'll sell the cigar box guitar for $75 bucks. Items like this go for $125 on ebay. It's a deal. The can will be for sale later but if you gotta have it now make an offer and I'll bring it to your house. 





Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger