Friday, May 23, 2014

I Make Money Playing Music and Built a Fretted Instrument...

I did not sell any instruments at the flea market. I did have a good time hanging and playing with Pop and Danny throughout the day. I did get a tip from some one that I should present myself as a folklorist and try for some gigs at children's workshop presentations at the museum or library this summer. I guess that only makes sense. I do have the credentials as I have done my due as a scout leader, little league baseball coach, Summer Sunshine, taekwondo teacher and children's church choir. So with that suggestion it's good to know that I do not generally present myself as a dangerous rock musician and that people do want to hang around while I play and see possibilities for my music that I may not see myself. One of these days I will roll everything I have done in one complete package and present to the world. Only problem with that will be that the catfish bait will make it stink. 

We did make some money playing music. Me and Pop set up by the food truck and got this in our tip can.
Believe it or not I have made less playing music. A whole lot less. 
Thanks to Sal and Sam's food truck for letting us set up by them. There were several people who sat at tables and ate while we played. Did not even make anybody sick! 

Here's Pop in the booth holding up my business card with his photo. He's my celebrity endorser. What, you don't have one? This guy is famous because he plays my instruments and was involved in the attempt to break the Guinness Book of World records record for most guitar players jamming. He was playing banjo so if that don't get you famous I do not know what will.   
In the background is Ed. I have probably known Ed for close on 40 years. I thought he was old when I met him. Now I'm old and he looks about the same. Funny how that works. 

Anyway we are rambling around like a guy dancing in the back of a pickup in a country music network video so I'll get to the point. I built a fretted instrument. 
It's a tenor uke. String tuning is g-c-e-a.

Nut and bridge is turtle shell. 

Rose found this cigar box in a dumpster in Lake Jackson. I did not ask why she was in a dumpster. 

This looks like neck pull but I think it's more the case of the light weight screws did not have enough strength to pull the neck down without stripping the heads. 

It really plays pretty well in open chords in first position. Of course I only know about three tenor tuning chords but what the hey. I think it was Woody Guthrie who said if you play more than two chords you are just showing off.  I may never be the musician I would like to be but I am making myself very happy with three or four strings strung on something some one else threw away. 



Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

How much for that one. My goal this summer is to learn how to play the Uke but I haven't bought one yet. Maybe this one? ;-) Would need to be shipped to Chicago obviously. Or I could learn on a regular one all summer and you could bring me this beauty when you and Mom come for Riot Fest then I'll be all ready to jam!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

You can have the family discount which is free. It is a bit wonkie for tuning so I don't recommend it as a beginner instrument unless you are used to making your stand with your back to the drums on a regular basis.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Making Money in Music! This book will show you how - with sections on all the ways a modern musician can make money, without being a star.

5:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger