Thursday, April 02, 2015

Stayed in the Frenchman Hotel...

While in the New Orleans last weekend we stayed at the Frenchman Hotel. It's an old place dating to 1860 and is listed in the National Historic Register. It's on Frenchman Street in the Marigny neighborhood. This is just off the French Quarter and was formerly a plantation developed into a neighborhood by Bernard Marigny, a Creole planter in 1806. Many of the houses are 100 years old or older. The street itself is named so in remembrance of four Frenchman who rebelled against Spain taking possession of New Orleans and were executed in 1769 nearby on what is now the grounds of the old U.S. Mint.  Our stay there was not quite so historical as this but we did have a good time. 
The courtyard. That's a heated pool. We swam every night. Only had other guest share the area once.  It was a quiet and pleasant place to soak the bones after all day at the BBQ fest with live music drifting in off the street at just the right volume, not to loud but able to recognize the song. Our room was top left hand side.  

Cathy poses outside the lobby. 

Ok so here was the most exciting part of our stay. The hotel offers parking which is a plus but as is seems to be customary these days a fee is charged. A Ford F-150 pickup is not a good fit in an 1860 stable designed for horse and buggy. I made it through this tunnel just fine by folding the side mirrors in but once inside it took about 20 minutes to maneuver into a parking place. 

We never used the car while there. Took two city buses and two cab rides. On leaving town it was lucky there was not a car parked by us or I don't think I could have pulled out of the place.  

The question of the day. I thought you were watching that pole. Luckily I have been able to buff most of this out and will work on it some more when I get a chance. Not the worst damage I have ever done to a car in New Orleans.  

One of the cab drivers we had summed up the Frenchman Hotel pretty good. He was a foreigner with maybe an Eastern European accent and he said "Ah, the Frenchman, not too expensive but in a good place." I'll stay there again but I'll use the gated parking a block behind the hotel.   



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger