Sunday, April 05, 2015

The Must Do List...

I'v heard of people having these. We keep a list of bands that we would like to see if they come within striking distance. Pretty easy to do these days with the internet. Considering the good live music I have seen in my life I am not really sure how we did it in the old days. When we saw that the Drive By Truckers were playing in New Orleans we jumped at a chance to go. They are a band on our list. 
If you are putting labels to this music try "alternative southern rock." I once saw a review that call this band "the thinking man's Lynyrd Skynyrd. It's good old Alabama boys writing songs in what could be called the southern gothic vein. It was a bit weird to be standing at this concert and have a good old boy next to you hold up his beer and cheer. I not sure why the cheers because most of these tunes are about the death of people, some about about your own death and just generally screwed up lives. I'm not from Alabama but we have these song characters in Texas also. I know some of them. 
Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley. They formed the DBT in 1996 and their collaboration goes back longer than that. Hood is the son of David Hood, a member of the old Muscles Shoals Rhythm Section that played on all the hot soul records of the 60s and 70s. The Truckers have always been a three lead guiatr band and I never knew just who was making the most racket. It's Cooley. Don't ever let anyone tell you he can't play guitar. 




Hey, did I mention this was rock music? 






.  



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger