Sunday, May 14, 2017

The Dirty River Boys...

Here's a band we saw at the Conroe Americana Festival. They are called the Dirty River Boys. We kind of happened on them by accident. Everyone was standing around trying to figure out which band might be good to see (a really hard choice, I hate what else might have been missed) and somehow we found ourselves right in front of these guys. Might have been the best songwriting band of the weekend and later when I said "man whose idea was it to see this band?" they all said "your's!" but I can't take that credit. 

So what kind of band is this? I see string bass, drums and acoustic guitars. Well the dirty river is the Rio Grande and these guys come speeding in from the west, El Paso to be exact with the stomp and holler of an Irish punk band, the smooth rolling banjo and mandolin picking of bluegrass with a little good old honky tonk thrown in. I mean how else would you sound if you have to drive 900 miles to get to any gig. 


I'm a sucker for a toothpaste colored guitar. 


This guy wins the prize for the best string bass. 


So you ask about the songwriting. What kind of songs are these guys doing? Best I can describe it is Texas Truth. Anyone that's ever sat up late at night cupping that burning ember of whatever it was that's bothering them will know what these songs are about. Go out and get the CDs now. 



Best photo of the back of the banjo I could get. You know I have a banjo with a big old eagle cut in the back. Contrary to what you have heard it's instruments like this that will make America great again. 




Heck, even the merch guy was good. They must have had 7 different t shirts for sale. I regret I did not by one. There was a bunch of cds, maybe some are EPs and we bought the latest two. They are great albums, good production and sound. I wish I had bought all because I don't see the older stuff for sale online. Cathy bought a can cooler. 

It is amazing what passes for country music these days. Why are bands like these are not big hits I don't know. Well I do know, jeans not tight enough, too dumb for New York, too ugly for L.A. hair not swung right and so on. They can be your hit. Buy this music now.  


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger