Sunday, June 11, 2017

Chicago Fishing...

I did fish in Chicago. I guess broke the law since I did not have an Illinois licence. Got away with it too. Some will say that I always do but since I caught no fish I'll cry no harm no foul. That's the style these days isn't it? 

The lake in Humboldt Park is just a few blocks from The PK manse. 


Walking around the lake I saw this guy catch a yellow catfish. He threw it back but I saw another guy with a light rig under a small bobber that caught a sunfish about the size we use for bait and he put in a bucket. That's ok, no size limit on those in Texas and I am sure it's the same here. 

Little bit confusing bit of signage about the lake. Some signs say fish from fishing stations. All about the lake are nicely planted native plants to combat erosion with nice flat rock open areas that seem to be made to set up a lawn chair and fish. There was one sign that said fish from pier only. Most fishermen and some women were fishing from the flat rock areas. 



Geese parade on a pond spotted with some type of seed pods there were blowing in the wind. 


Mallard ducks. I guess I should have been hunting. Few shots would not be noticed in the noisy big city. 


My weapon of choice instead is the pocket fisherman. If you remember about a year ago I caught a fish using this thing in a rushing Puerto Ricoian rain forest river. Since then it's pulled a few bass and perch from Pop's pond. Today I was tossing a 1/8th ounce road runner jig and the tiny sunfish were too small to get the hook in their mouth but they would run out of the weed line and bite at the curly tail every now and then. 

Fishermen are a friendly bunch even in Chicago. Most commented and admired my portable rig. 

We did take a look at the Lincoln Park Zoo a couple of days later. It's a free zoo and maybe not the greatest zoo I have seen but there was a mossy pond where Cathy taught the grand kids to spit in the water where some pretty decent sized bream would come up to investigate the spittage. After a bit of doing this three largemouth bass 12-15 inches long also came to see what the fuss was about but I did not have my equipment with me this day.    


After fishing there is a pretty good in a trendy way burger shop with a nice shady breeze way. Here's Katie and her niece and nephew cooling with topo chicos after an afternoon of fun. 




Fish while you can. You don't have to be catching. 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger