Saturday, May 27, 2017

The Hard Luck Revival...

Here's some more new music for you. It's a country rockabilly band called the Hard Luck Revival. They are out of Houston, Tx and with songs like "Her Water is Broke and so am I" that real life inspiration and hard luck comes in steady and equal doses. We saw this band at the Conroe Americana Fest and since they are close by I hope I get to see them again. 


With fiddle, guitars, bass drums, mandolin and harp they put out a punked up cowboy kind of thing that sort of brings to my the old Leroi Brothers stuff from back in the 1980s. 



Front man plays a pretty 1970s style of Telecaster guitar and might be able to pick up some Elvis imitator gigs with just a few little tweaks to his shtick. 


This guy was a good country guitar player on a Tele but he whipped out what looks to be a vintage Danelectro for some killer slide playing. After the show I told him how much I liked the slide. He said "Hey I saw you dancing at the Carolyn Wonderland gig the other night." I guess that goes to show we all have things we like.  


Looks like one of their upcoming gigs in June and it's a day I work) is at Rockefellers in Houston. If you remember this is club from the 1980s  in an old bank building on Washington Street. We used to hop in the Rocket 88 at a moments notice and drive down to see bands like Chicago blues woman Koko Taylor, Arkansas blues man Son Seals, Big Twist and the Mellow Fellows, legendary flying V slinger Lonny Mack and Texas songwriter Joe Ely with Rolling Stone side man Bobby Keys on sax. That's just the ones I can remember for now. The old club closed but seems to be opened up again hosting country punk like this and some blues. 



Hard Luck aint hard to come by. It's a better gig that you might think. 



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger