Sunday, December 03, 2017

Trout Fishing in America...

Yesterday we went with grandkids and big kids alike to Mcgonial's Mucky Duck, an Irish Pub in Houston to see the band Trout Fishing in America. They have been in operation since 1979 performing music for adults and kids and have four Grammy nominations in the children's music category. This might have been my 3rd time to see them.

 
Mary was really the driving force behind organizing this trip and then with the advent of the birth of sister in law Crystal and husband Herby's baby the Zamora family ended up in San Marcos. I did not realize Mary was such a fan but I do recall seeing this band once at Jazz Fest when Mary was about 10. A good lesson for doing fun stuff with your kids. It sticks with them. Don't worry, we got you an autographed cd.

 
In attendance with us at this show were besides me and Cathy there were Morgan, Ali, Warren and Coraline, Rose and Tim and Tim's parents Bill and Tina. More big kids than little I guess but all enjoyed.
 
 
Tried to get a shot of Cathy and Warren dancing but looks like the action is just a blur.

 
For the literary men and women among us some will recall the novel Trout Fishing in America by Richard Brautigen. I read it a long time ago.  Published in 1967 a bit of research on wiki labels it an abstract novel with reappearing characters from chapter to chapter with trout fishing as a "thinly veiled and often comical critique of mainstream American culture and society." Singer songwriter also has a song about not wanting to cast you line in that old mainstream.  I think we need more writings like this. The children's music of this band is very refreshing and is capable of making you think.
 
If you are a kid I bet you like dinosaurs.
 
 
 
 

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger