Sunday, November 05, 2017

Dia de Los Muetros...

Dia de Los Muetros translates to the "day of the dead." It's come from old Aztec traditions that focus on gathering the family to remember family and friends who have died and to pray in support and celebration of the spiritual journey of those gone before. Europeans came along and this kind of stuff fit right in, what a coincidence and they shifted things around to involve All Saints Day. That's not all that shifted around because we must acknowledge that the indigenous people got the short end of the stick even though the core beliefs of mankind are very much in line across continents, cultures and generations.  Makes you wonder why there are conflicts. People all seem to want some comforting afterlife after all the struggle here on Earth. 

Nacogdoches, puts on  Day of the Dead festival around the square on the brick streets of the Oldest town in Texas. There was good music, dancers, food and maybe 10% of the crowd in costume. Naturally we dressed for the occasion and thanks to the expert help of Mary and her makeup skills Cathy and Rose won runner up t shirts in the costume contest. I'll post more on music and dance later but here is what we looked like. 

Just in case you don't recognize these guys here is Warren and Coraline. 

Rose and Tim


Warren and Tim


Cathy


Mary. I can only guess what a half painted face might symbolize. Maybe part of this world as well as part of the next? 


Oh yeah have you heard? The Astros won the World Series. 


As usual behind the camera I don't have a good picture of me. I was dressed up and many people through out the day stopped as asked to take my photo. We were all selected for the contest with Rose and Cathy as runners up. There were good costumes, we had fun and thanks to Mary for our face paint. 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger