Saturday, February 03, 2018

Mardi Gras Time...

 As the name of this blog, the older you will get, getting older is a thought that crosses my mind from time to time. With another birthday this year I think of times spent doing this and doing that that there will be things that I do for the last time to pass me by. It's full on Mardi Gras season right now down in one of my favorite places, New Orleans and as I study about it and reflect on the several Mardi Gras I have attended I might not make it down there again for the big event.

Mardi Gras can be a lot of trouble. Too many people, loose who you came with, wreck your car, forget which hotel you are in and so on and I am just talking about the stuff that has happened to me. Today is a day for the professionals down there for sure as it's raining and all the parades ran back to back trying to beat the weather. I am off work next weekend, the big weekend and a trip is tempting. I said Mardi Gras was a lot of fun did I not? Since anytime is a good parade time I have these photos from the Sugar Bowl Parade that we made a few weeks ago. 

Mardi Gras Indian Suit in the US Mint Jazz Museum. Every at Carnival Time we make a new suit anyway.



Celebrate 300 years as a city. 


Cathy can catch beads. 


Note the braced stance when receiving a throw. 


Here's a Louie Armstrong float passing the US Mint where his first cornet is on display inside. Click this LINK to read hear about Louie as the Zulu King in 1949.  


Marching Bands. 


Pretty plain compared to the big floats that roll this weekend and next. 


More marching bands. 


Crawfish! 



Kind of technically mine and Cathy's first date was a Mardi Gras in 1988. I think the first Mardi Gras I went to was 1985 or maybe 86. As I said, Mardi Gras has passed this way, may or maybe not again. 



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger