Thursday, January 04, 2018

The Royal Rounders...

Here's a band we caught New Year's Eve in New Orleans in the back room at Buffa's. If you don't know Buffa's it's been there since 1939 on Esplanade just across the street from where the Quarter begins. I have walked past it many times but in an era where most bars are stand up places to see music this was a nice cozy sit at a table like a civilized man and watch a durn good band. 

The Royal Rounders have a pretty impressive resume. Members of this band have played with Al Hirt, Dr. John, Rod Stewart, Col. Bruce Hampton, Garrison Keillor's Prairie Home Companion and includes the savior of the world wide oyster industry.  
Being a slide player I was happy when I saw this guy, Dave Easley on stage. He's out of the late Colonel's band and can be found in other places around the jam band scene. Very good sound all clean, powerful surfy, jazzy and Hawaiian.


The sax player on the right is Jerry. He kind of adopted us as we were sitting right close to the stage and being friendly was helped a lot by the two hours he sat drinking at the bar before his set started. Turns out I've heard this man play before. he played the sax solo on the Rod Stewart hit tonight's the night. I have that record around here. He also played with Delaney and Bonnie. I have always been curious about how long #1 hit money lasts so I asked him. Rod paid him $367 for the solo. He described a feeling that something was put somewhere that I can't say on this family friendly portal in very colorful language.  


The big guy on sax saved the oyster industry. No details were given. I ate oysters several times this trip and I thanked him.  



No story on the bassman other than he was a cool funky dude and a good singer. 

The drummer is Freddy. You have herard him alos on late 60s Al Hirt Records and severl Dr. John records in the decades that followed. Another stone cold cool dude. 


No good photos of him but the piano guy was from the Keillor show. 


Crowd turn out was light for this cast of interesting characters but then I might never have gotten to meet these guys and here the road warrior stories. I'll have another post up later about another great band that played the time slot before them. There is just too much to see and do in New Orleans. 


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger