Sunday, February 10, 2019

Cold Weather Catfishing...

I remember when I was a kid if we had an old army surplus jacket purchased at the old Army Navy Store on frank street we used to think we had some good cold weather gear. Plenty of winter days spent running down the old Angelina river in a flat bottom boat shivering like the poor old dog that ate peach pits. 

Yesterday with the wind chill at about 33 degrees I was dressed pretty much like Cathy is here. The only Army surplus I had on was a wool scarf tucked in my collar. My feet had $38 dollar gortex socks and on my hands for the run across the lake I wore a pair of thinslate gloves that are really for those just in case moments during cool month Chicago visit but more often that not come in handy when on the lake. 

With most boat ramps closed due to high water there were more cars than I expected at the Shirly Creek Marina boat ramp. Water is over the road to the marina so you need a boat to get to your boat if you are docked in a marina slip.  We saw this eagle on our last trip to this area and he was looking very noble while dining on fresh fish. Photo taken from 35-50 yards away, only slightly cropped. 


Matt takes awards with most fish. Boat positioning is best if wind is north or south on this spot and with it out of the east it put him right on the sacred pocket. Usually about 6' deep at this spot it's about 15' with the recent rains. You may note Cathy's thrift store rubber boots that are an integral part of her cold weather fishing plan. 


A slow but fun day on the lake. I'm glad we bundled up and toughed it out. That's 15 catfish to begin this year's fishing tally and I'm glad that there was not more to clean. They are swimming in our belly and I think Matt is taking his left overs back to Houston later today. 


Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

The Left overs were delicious

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger