Wednesday, January 09, 2019

Yard Sign...

A day off from work and a bit of sunshine had me out exploring the yard. With all the rain we have had lately it has turned a walk into a mudhog situation. Or should I say mud deer. I noted these fresh tracks 20 yards from my backdoor this morning. A while back taking mail to the box one morning I noted a rank wet animal smell in the air and that afternoon I noticed the tracks from whatever it was I startled. From the smell I thought hog but I think this is deer. 

I have noted a deer in my yard once in all the years I have lived here and this morning there was a doe hit by a car about a 100 yards down the farm road. Don't know what is attracting them to my area all of a sudden. There has been a bumper crop of acorns so it may just be food. There is also a busy enterprise in the area that seems to be building a row of insta brick homes on spec that are attractive and sell quickly. These are probably displacing habitat and my little corner of the world probably seems quiet. 

The paper whites are blooming in my yard in several spots, in a row and around trees. They are a Mediterranean native from Greece to Portugal to Morocco and Algeria now considered naturalized in Texas. An immigrant so to speak. 


More paper whites with the green close to the ground wild onions. I'll be eating some of them later this spring even though the kids think I'll poison myself with my backyard forging. 


I have forgotten this plants name but it's a pot plant that won't take the cold. Cathy sometimes makes a deck display of them in hanging baskets and with the end of summer and the oncoming cold they will scream had enough and get dumped over the side of the deck. There in the shelter of the house they have taken hold and I made a little flower bed to surround them. They survive the cold by raking up leaves all around. They are getting big and harder to cover. We will see have they hold up this year. 


I have discovered I can grow these types of palms. 


Old Mardi Gras beads dangle by the deck stairs in the wind. Somewhere there is a tuba nearby. We are well on a design plan to make the place look like a 100 year old French Quarter bungalow that AirB&B passed on by. 


Whoa! Man! Jesus! Panther track! 


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger