Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Big Eddy, Eisenhower Park...

Seems like the wet weather and high water has kept me from outdoor activity lately. Maybe it's just that stage in a sportsman's career where he would rather talk about going fishing than really go fishing. With Morgan in Italy for his job we paid a visit to Ali and Parker this weekend and I took the time to pay a visit to a city of Houston Park, Dwight D. Eisenhower Park.  

This Park is at the lower end of Lake Houston where the dam empties into the San Jacinto River. There is The Lake Houston Wilderness area nearer to Morgan's house on the upper end which we have explored by canoe. I am very impressed with the quality of outdoor experience available near the city. The only sounds of civilization  is the occasional whistle of jet engines approaching Hobby International. On a foggy day like this one the jets could not be seen.  

This spot is called Big Eddy and is actually a branch off the main river. It is also a canoe launch. No motors allowed. 


Looking toward the mouth with the river somewhere down there. I was interested in the dam area because I has seen recent video of good white bass fishing by boat behind the dam. While I got close enough as I explored around to hear the rushing water of the dam I could not see it or find bank access. 


Good bit of wildlife to be seen. I saw deer on the road driving in as well as cormorants and blue herons. Usually a good fishing sign, lots of birds near the water but I caught no fish myself this day.


Nice river sand banks. Makes you want to dig. I flushed up a flight of wood ducks from a pool behind this sand bar. Looks like if you head up the eddy this way you reach a rip rap dam with a road on it. It's blocked by a locked gate and probably leads to the dam tailrace. 


A big white heron hands around waiting for winter to be over on the Great Lakes so he can head home for the summer. 

Nice foot path along the water. 


I saw about a half dozen people in the park. Three guys fishing a park pond that had beware of alligator signs, a guy walking a dog, a woman who looked like she was stretching to prepare for a trail jog and a Texas State Trooper who I swear was stealing the paper from the portapotty. I had urinated in that unit before fishing and duly noted that just in case there was toilet paper. After a drive around I returned to spot the trooper standing outside the unit with a roll of paper in his hand. I ask myself why as I kick myself for not making photos.  


So it seemed pretty isolated but I can guess that it might not always be so. Most every tree at the waters edge had corks, lures and plenty of mono fishing line wrapped up in it. If you zoom this photo you can see all the line. My guess is about 6 million people living within an hours drive of this spot. If they all get hungry and the grocery store is closed a few cormorants, a pelican, several wood ducks, two alligators and three deer are not going to go very far.    

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger