Saturday, June 22, 2019

Another Guitar Project...

Once again Bill Cooney has been thrift storing/yard sailing along and picked up a right fine guitar. It needed some repairs and I am ashamed to say how long it took me to get around to it but the reward is an instrument that plays so fine it rivals all the other Asian pawn shop jobs tucked away in the corners of the music room waiting on a gig.  

It's an Emperador Dreadnought Model AAW 11, made in Korea. The shine is thanks to Gibson brand guitar polish. Gibson guitars look and shiny and bright but expensive in the music store and it dawned on me if I used their polish my guitars would look the same. 

Nice shine to the headstock. Good thing I was wearing clothes. Almost enough reflection to be embarrassing. Not a whole lot on the internet about these guitars. Apparently they made acoustic and some pretty nice looking electrics 60s-80s. Looks like Tokai might have been the parent company. I recall a bunch of guys I knew in the early 80s buying Tokai Fender copies because they thought them to be better values than the Fenders of the time.  


Body shot, nothing fancy on the inlay but despite a few dings shines up nice. 


Headstock has been bumped around. That's real life bleeding fingers and broken guitar strangs right there. 


I would guess this guitar has had three sets of tuners in it's life judging from the holes in the back of the headstock. That includes the budget set I put on which seem to keep it well in tune.  
Sound of this guitar is what I would call dense. It will fill up and ensemble. Action is good for cowboy chords and I think I got a good height on the nut. If I take it apart again I might lower the bridge a bit for better lead playing up the neck. 

If you are coming to the next jam session there is another throw down guitar in town. Don't be shy to grab it up. 


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger