Sunday, September 27, 2020

How Do You Like Them Apples is a Pretty Corny Blog Title...


While on out recent Chicago visit we drove about an hour over into Indiana to visit County Line Orchards. I know in East Texas there are places to pick blue berries, I can remember as a child going to a field where you could pick black eyed peas, I've pick figs, gathered mayhaws in the river bottoms and last summer while exploring an old cemetery I discovered a tree with great tasting pears but this was my first apple picking adventure. 


Judging from the parking area available this is a pretty popular place as it seemed to be about half full on a week day. That barn has every thing in it you can think to make from an apple. Also available for picking are large sunflower heads and for $12 you could purchase a pumpkin that would fill a shopping cart. 


We had a couple of apple eaters with us. I think they left owing the place money. Heck, I left owing the place money. Apples you pick from the tree are about $1.79 a pound. The seasons were different for the various varieties but at least 4 or 5 were there for the picking. I picked about four pounds and should have picked more as I have only a few left.  


I wonder what the loss is to people walking through the orchards and eating apples is each day? There were many fallen to the ground so probably not as much as that loss. 


Another attraction was the corn maze. You go in with a map and visit various checkpoints as you find your way out. Me and Miguel found our way our pretty easily and I suggested we sit on a bench and await the others but he insisted we get lost again as a way to avoid a possible tongue lashing from the wives for us doing nothing. He's pretty smart. I usually don't think that far ahead.   


Lost! That's Luca in the stroller and with the fall temperature in the 50s he allowed it was the coldest he had ever been.  


Keep an eye on the short people. 


These people need to pay for what they ate. 


It was a pleasant trip on a beautiful fall Indiana day. I usually buy the organic apples at the grocery store because they seem a little crisper. I don't know if this crop was considered organic or not but they were sure tasty when picked right off the tree. 

 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger