Friday, March 12, 2021

Crappie Fishing...

Spring is starting to sprung if that makes any sense and on my drive over to Martin Dies Jr. State Park and the Walnut Slough Paddling Trail through the more southern reaches of the county I saw redbuds in bloom. After the big freeze that's just barely starting to happen at my house. Glad the weather is looking up. I wore shorts and sandals but you know that business we go through every year where we say, " we did not have a winter so the bugs will be bad." That's horse poo. We had a winter.  The mosquitoes were out yesterday. Covid is dangerous and West Nile Virus can change your life as well.  


The white perch were also out and I managed 3 big ones, one Kentucky Spotted bass and a few small throw back bass. The go to lure was the 1" Charlie Brewer Crappie Slider and I think it was on a 1/32 ounce jig head. I hung the bait up and lost it and the next head I tied on was a wee bit heavier and sunk faster. I have used the slider lure, it's a do nothing lure, cast it out, reel it in, in various sizes for 35 years. Last couple of years it's really been my go to for panfish. I recently bought the largemouth bass slider kit so we will see how that goes.  


I caught a few of the small bass on a beetle spin. It had the same color, red, yellow and white tube tail that the white bass were liking at the river awhile back. 


You would think with all the cypress trees and shady overhanging branches that there would be fish everywhere along the paddling trail. I have really only found about three places they seem to like. Last April through June I caught large bream here and these fish were in the same places. When the water warms up a bit more those breams will move up. They say bluesman Howlin' Wolf could eat 50 bream at a sitting. Look for me to give that a try soon. 

Those Crappie are swimming in our bellies. Cathy, a dedicated catfish eater proclaimed them good.   

 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger