Sunday, August 08, 2021

Summer Ski 2021...

I have often wondered what I would have done with my life if they had not inundated East Texas bottom land to built the largest man made reservoir totally located with in the borders of our state. I learned to fish with my dad on this lake. In the late 1970s when my old friend Ray graduated from college he bought what was then a state of the art bass boat, a Raycraft, manufactured in San Augustine, Tx and to go with it a pair of Cypress Garden Dick Pope Jr. signature model water skis.     
I spotted this pair of Dick Popes hanging as decoration in Clearsprings restaurant in Nacogdoches, Tx. It reminded me that when Ray purchased these skis it was my introduction to pull behind the boat water sports. I went on to buy my first boat, a pontoon that would pull skis, kneeboards and tubes in 1986. Somewhere along that way I picked up a pair of 70s/80s vintage skis in a thrift store and though they hang in the barn and I can't get up on them but every now and then I break them out for the kids.   


We have been slow or maybe lazy to get the skis out this summer. We have been to the lake swimming and fishing plenty but it takes the right crew for a ski trip. Looks like we got some of them together for this excursion and maybe we will be able to get the others later. 

Boat Jumper. Don't worry the motor was off. I'll teach jumping off under power in a few years. 

Mary has been knee boarding since age four. She took the summer off last year to have Luca but as shown she is back in action. 


He started out a good ride for the first try but after about 50 yards he looked back to see where his momma was and lost his balance. 

Miguel shows his skills. 

You can't fall off this thing unless you do something dumb which happens sometimes, mostly to me.  

You too can be a member of Pop Pops stunt team. 

At age 1 Luca makes his first run. 

We stopped by the old fishing hole for a photo op with the Catfish Queen who I think was a little disappointed that we threw back the fish we caught. We had enough for a fish fry supper in about 30 minutes. Maybe we go back ready to keep and clean fish tomorrow. 

I showed my friend Ray the photo of the Dick Pope skis. He said, "those look very familiar." If you follow my blog all these photos probably look familiar to you. We hit Sam Rayburn for fun as much as often as we can.   

 

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger