Monday, January 24, 2022

Oh How I Wish You Were Here...

It was a busy weekend. There was a couple of parties but there was work also. A crew gathered up to paint the old Zamora Corporation house in preparation for selling. It jogged some memories of my  friend G.W. and in connection with that the English psychedelic rock band Pink Floyd. 

Here's a photo of the painters.   

Back in the early 1980s I was getting to know G.W. and he showed me a business card. This was way before websites, facebook, influencers and such and it was generally thought that a business card gave you the look of a professional and just about guaranteed success. I have some cards from my cigar box making days. U.S. Tico left a box of business cards here and I guess there has been modest to good success that it is kind of hard to decide what part of that to attach to the business card. 

G.W.'s business card said "P.F. Paint Company." He was in the business of painting. Always having been a work for the hour/take the weekend off kind of guy it was not something I would do but I kind of admired but did not feel jealous of a fellow that had his own business. I asked G.W. what "P.F." stood for. He looked at me like I had two heads. He stared like I had put my under ware on the outside of my pants, which kind of like business cards it's not something people stare at anymore. 

With this look G.W. replied, "It stands for Pink Floyd." 

I note that due to English copyright laws that allow material that sits unused for a period of years to become public domain the band Pink Floyd recently released live recordings from the late 60s/early 70s period. I read drummer Nick Mason's book "Inside Out"  where Nick allowed as when sound mastering technology progressed the band was able to clean up murky old recordings or make use of musical ideas developed in earlier periods. It was essentially a way for the band to keep making money developing material from previous work. I don't know the worth of the Pink Floyd catalogue but I would say if the business plan they are using keeps being successful that none of their great great grandchildren are going to have to paint houses.            


Here's Miguel with an official P.F. Paint Company t shirt. I don't suppose G.W. owes the band anything for the development of paint company idea. 

If you like this blog and want more like it Venmo me what it's worth to ya. It's just so I don't have to paint houses.
@Carl-Wallace-23 

 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger