Thursday, February 17, 2022

The Blind Boys of Alabama...

I took this photo of the gospel group The Blind Boys of Alabama at the New Orleans Jazzfest in 2018.


The group has been in operation with various visually impaired members since 1939. The have won Grammys and other awards, sang at civil rights rallies for Dr. Martin Luther King and performed at the White House for Clinton, George W. Bush and Obama.
We saw them at SXSW in Austin, Tx about 2006 at an in store performance at Waterloo Records on North Lamar Boulevard. The place was packed standing room only. It was a moving sight as they snaked through the the crowd single file with each man's hand on a shoulder led by a band member who could see to take the small stage and present tunes from their Dove ward winning album "Atom Bomb."
It was a group playing music they believed in and they made the onlookers feel it also. I stood back a bit taking in the scene and I saw a hand waving in the air right down front raised like the person was receiving the Holy Spirit.
It was Cathy's hand.




 

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger