Friday, May 13, 2022

The Flying Balalaika Brothers...

At Festival International in Lafitte, La. we saw the Flying Balalaika Brothers. They are not really brothers but a musical unit of Russians, Ukrainians, Texans and a last minute addition from Louisiana that set a good example of the cooperation the rest of the world should be seeking.   


The group has been in operation almost 20 years and is led by Zhenya Rock, the former lead guitarist of a group you may have heard of, The Red Elvises. Rock was named one of the best guitar players in the world by World Music Magazine. 

The Brothers mine Gypsy Punk territory using Balkan, Romani, Russian and Jewish melodies and themes and several languages to break down barriers and norms you might expect at a typical rock show. Other bands of note which I have cds by are Gol Go Bordello, Balkan Beatbox, Devotchka, Emir Kusturica and the No Smoking Orchestra, Golem, Kulture Shock, The Lemon Bucket Orchestra ( Pete, my son in law's brother Ian is the tuba player) and there are many more, these are just the ones I have explored.     

Always a plus when there are gypsy dancers.  

Some use of traditional instruments. Once I bid on one of these in an ebay auction. Luckily for the rest of the world I was outbid.  

I think the trumpet player was from Louisiana. Note from the backline of amps it's like I say, the answer is always Fender.  


It's not too late to get on the gypsy punk bandwagon especially since many of these groups are fund raising for Ukrainian relief and using their influence to bring world attention to the culture. 







 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger