Thursday, June 16, 2022

Blue Man Group...

I have wanted to see Blue Man Group for years and had a couple of convenient opportunities but the price of a big city show always put me off. For the last two nights the Angelina Arts Alliance brought the group, and I had a balcony seat for $55. That's about my limit for concerts these days and I might pay more for a day long festival but once again I stress how much a bargain these AAA shows are and after years of crowding stages at the front in my golden years I have come to appreciate how well you can see from a comfortable balcony seat. 

I like a good drum show. My youngest children, Morgan and Mary were drum line kids and I remember taking them to see the show Stomp. They later were the beginning of putting on similar spring shows each year with the Lufkin High School Drumline. Blue Man Group is a drum show and as you can see from the photos they leave a messy stage and if you sit in the front rows they give you a raincoat. It's not Gwar but it's a good show.  


Blue Man Group is a corporation, a theater company putting on shows all over the work. The are owned by Cirque di Soleil. It's origins date to 1987 when the group was formed by three friends in New York City. The themes of the group, which probably don't get enough attention in this town are from the Wiki site:

  • Science and technology, especially the topics of plumbingfractals, human sightDNA, and the Internet
  • Information overload and information pollution, such as when the audience is asked to choose one of three simultaneous streams of information to read
  • Innocence, as when the Blue Men appear to be surprised and perplexed by common artifacts of modern society or by audience reactions
  • Self-conscious and naïve imitation of cultural norms, such as attempting to stage an elegant dinner of Twinkies for an audience member; or following the Rock Concert Instruction Manual with the expectation that following instructions is all it takes to put on a rock concert
  • Rooftops, or climbing to the top, a metaphor for the directive from Joseph Campbell and Bill Moyers's PBS program The Power of Myth, namely "following your bliss"

I did not make a bunch of photos of this show as lately some of the AAA shows have request no photos for a screen free performance and that fits well with the band's themes. I could not resist this one as it shows the good mess they make.

Get together with three friends. Form a band. Play in the streets. Develop themes. Buy tickets to AAA shows.  

   

 

 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger