Friday, September 16, 2022

Recent Live Music...

 On our recent trip to Evansville, Indiana we managed to sample some of the local live music. Most was at a downtown Saturday event with musicians playing on street corners but we did make it out to a show at a club. There seems to be a good variety of music to be seen around the town.  

This is Kelly  and I'm sorry but I forget the last name. Maybe someone will comment. He's doing the DAG thing (dude and guitar) but it's a nice selection of music with the older rock tunes funkily updated and good use of a looper pedal to back himself for solos. The sound was clear and I liked the sound he got from some type of envelope filter for his solos. He has played parties at my brother and sister in law's home and we chatted about music, looping and pedals afterward his gig. 

Very nice guy. There had been a gas main explosion in Evansville that destroyed a row of homes and he was helping out to raise money with a set at charity event the next day.  



Did not catch the name of this group but a standard blues combo sounding very nice. Too bad stuff like this is not more in demand around here. 


I did not catch this group's name or even if they had one. I liked how the groups were spaced out enough that even if there was sound reinforcement in use they did not step on each other. This music on a street corner thing was tried a few years ago in Lufkin and we participated as an acoustic group looking to set up under store fronts to enhance our sound in natural ways but always ended up blown out by other groups with amps playing unimaginative sets of the same old same old.  

We also spotted some singer song writer looking types and a guy with a sax as we drove though town but did not get to listen to them.   


We did make it out to a bar one evening to catch a regional personality Boscoe France. Boscoe is working the blues, SRV, Allman Brothers, Southern Rock thing and while I have seen SRV he is gone and guys like Boscoe will have to do. 

If you visit his web page at the link he has an impressive list of endorsers but is a humble dude. He made the comment from the stage that his bass player was the smart guy in the band and was writing a book about what it was like to hand out with dumb people. 

Later on at break Cathy and her sister Margaret went to buy Boscoe's cd had I noticed he liked to talk and as I had talked to lots of guitar players in bars, usually the ones I was in a band with I at first deferred but later joined the group. Boscoe was telling them how dumb he was but that he could read cursive. I went to tune away and Bos asked me where I was going. As I had turned toward the stage I mentioned I was checking out his gear. He said, "come on I'll show it to you," but at that moment someone else wanted a cd so he got busy with that and I slipped off. I look at guitars all the time. They are wood and wire and that's all you need to know.       



Boscoe is really not dumb. He's crazy like a fox. Catch live music and talk to guitar players in bars when you can. Beats watching TV. 



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger