Monday, September 12, 2022

Shakedown Cruise for the RPod and Good Blue Cat Bite...

 We stayed close to home for the shakedown cruise for the new to us rpod heading out 15 miles down the road to Hanks Creel Park on Sam Rayburn Reservoir. Our camp site was on the water and being so close to home we made a second trip back to get the boat because it is our normal launch with our best fishing spots nearby. 


I posted this photo on facebook and many thought we were tent camping but the trailer has a zip on canopy that provides shade and also served as sleeping quarters for brother in law Matt and also my son Morgan and his son Cullen who stayed one night. We were also joined in nearby campsites by my mother in law Geneva in her new truck camper (should have got a photo of her rig), the Zamoras in their VW camper and my brother Glenn as a day camper.  

The hot Texas summer finally broke a bit with temperatures a few degrees less making it more comfortable for the outdoors and the fish bit well. We probably caught less than 30 fish but it was enough for a fish dinner each day for whomever was in camp with the number of campers and fish eaters reaching a high of 8 adults and 4 children. 

A neighboring camper stopped me and asked if these were all my grandchildren. I said, "yes, half of them." He said, "my kids have not had any so it's just me and my wife and it's so boring!" I felt a bit sorry for him! Of course I don't have a boring wife but that's another blog post. 

Everyone caught some fish I think. They were mostly blue cats running to good size and we just threw back many of the smaller but still keeper sized channel cats. Parker caught a PB (personal best) two days in a row and even Miguel caught a few. 

Good fish for Morgan

Matt helps Luca land one. 

Cathy caught a good one and before we could land it I hooked one and we netted mine before she could get her's untangled. 

I can't believe they ate all that fish! Usually with the smaller channel cats I fry with the fish cut into strips. These big blue cats were fried up in big fillets and large hunks. 
Well, we can get more! just for the record the big blues like this were 40' deep and the bite was extremely light with the larger fish just clamping down and sitting on it. Your pole would just suddenly feel different, not a pull but a second sense of when to set the hook.   
The last fish of the trip was caught by Matt on a rod baited with a small sunfish that he casted behind the boat and left out overnight. It was a 3 pound blue cat, caught, photographed and released by campsite #16 in case anyone wants to try for him. 

We were not the only ones fishing the area as the river otters put on a show for us a couple of evenings playing and dining on our left over fish cleanings right beside our boat landing and we also had a bald eagle sighting.  

One last look a camp catfish. There's a couple of minor repairs and adjustments to make on the camper and looking around for our next trip we have discovered that any parks an hour drive from metropolitan areas are going to take planning several months in advance to get a site. 

Also we have a bike rack around here or on loan to Miguel I think and we had a lot of fun riding bikes in the park. They will be a piece of equipment to always have on these trips. We also carried guitars and I played one afternoon but they may be more used on future trips where the boat is not involved and we have relaxed sitting around time. 


I think this crew can handle camping. 







 











  

 


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger