Thursday, October 20, 2022

In the Park...

It's hard to keep up with what people are doing. There's all those conspiracy theories, the ups and downs of the stock market, what Trump done today and tracking when the rain is going to start on a weather app how would we even know what people are doing in public parks? 

When we travel to Chicago we often visit the public parks because that's the only way to get some good outside time in the city and the people that made those parks know that. When at home I sometimes play tuba in the park because I think it's funky and cool for joggers, bikers, walkers and kids headed to the playground to come along and find a guy giving a little concert. I admit that I haven't done much of that lately mainly because since COVID precautions lessened I have actually played some concerts and with my wife's, who was a day sleeper because of work, retirement I am free to play tuba all I want at home as long as I keep it during business hours.  

While on a bike ride at Palmisano Park in the Bridgeport area of Chicago I saw these dancers preparing for a program scheduled to be held in the park and open to the public on an upcoming weekend. I like seeing this and I wonder, besides my tuba playing what all goes on in my local parks. I do occasionally see teens practicing in my local parks the dances for upcoming Quinceaneras under the covered pavilions where the steps are sure and steady on the concrete surface.       


I'd like to see more people playing music in our local parks. Not necessarily guitar players plodding through Knocking on Heaven's Door or a little combo that's tentative on the A flat minor in Stormy Monday but people doing music like you have not heard on unusual combinations of instruments and not being shy or self conscious about it. Next time I play in the park I'm playing Somewhere Over the Rainbow. I know a billion people have heard the guy play it on the uke. Have you heard it on the tuba yet? It's different.      


Here's another group of dancers I saw working on a different routine but probably part of the same show during the next day's bike ride.  


Sometimes musicians will mention making money on music. That's nice and sometimes I do but mostly I'm playing real good for free. What are you doing? 

 Use your city parks. It's life. 

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger