Thursday, March 02, 2023

Fishing Lure Tips...

We were on our way to hit the spring East Texas white bass run and made a pitstop at one of those bright, shiny and modern convenience stores. It was all colorful and cheerful with clean restrooms, unlimited choices of caffeinated beverages, high carb snacks and probably brought in a million dollars a year in beer sales. In a place like this which is in close proximity to a hot public sandbass spot there is also usually a small tackle corner which I like to check just incase they stock a brainstorm lure locally made by the resident fish whisperer. There was nothing like this and the standard white bass staples hung on the racks including my favorite the Blakemore Roadrunner. Recalling a Trinity River trip I took decades ago when the water level was low and though the fish bit well I hung up and lost a ball cap full of hair crappie jigs on the old river snags it occurred to me that a few more Roadrunners for the box wouldn't hurt. I passed when I saw the premium market price with the sandbass run full on was $10 for a pack of two dressed with tails. I didn't need them that bad.   

They have been making Roadrunners since 1958 and I've fished them for about 40 years. Except for maybe the so called rough fish like gar, carp, buffalo, and grinnell which I imagine would bite if it crossed their path, I have caught everything else in Sam Rayburn Reservoir using this bait. Once I even hiked to the top of a rainforest mountain in Puerto Rico and caught some fish I never identified with a Ronco Pocket Fisherman and a Roadrunner. 

Even though you can buy a Roadrunner with any kind of wiggle tail you think attracts fish I usually buy mine in the bulk packages, undressed and they are $5. I then put my own tails on them. A few things to know about the Roadrunner is that you can't fish it wrong as long as you fish it slow and that any color is right as long as it is yellow, white or chartreuse. Usually I'll keep a few red or pink heads in stock and either the 1/16 or 1/8 size depending on the skill of the casters on the expedition. 

Grab a couple of Roadrunner packs, a variety of plastic wiggle tails and some light fishing tackle and head out to any place, any country and catch a fish dinner.    

 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger