Monday, September 25, 2023

Chicago Fishing Report...

We made the flight to Chicago this weekend for a visit to our daughter Katie her husband Peter and the grandkids Wallace and Hamish. The trip was just the right amount of time where there was no rush but we enjoyed various activities such as fishing, boating, some live music and returned home without those feelings of "now I need a vacation from my vacation." 

As you can see from the photos all are doing well. Even old Beefcake, the dog from Mary's litter of half golden retriever pups that was sired by a sneaky neighbor dog. Beefcake arrived from East Texas by plane in Chicago and has never looked back except when his own ass needs scratching. Although in a big city like this there is ample nearby park space to run and fetch he is basically a house dog. He does like sleeping outside in their fenced area that passes for a yard but unlike a Game of Thrones character he does not yet know winter is coming.   



Once when we fished Palmisano Park, an old rock quarry about a 10 minute walk from the Tulloch house, we caught good google eye perch on meal worms. Since then on our walks in the park we have only used artificial baits which the fish have rejected but even without the good fishing the Texas grandkids enjoy these boys will whip the water to a froth and their luck may improve since they do have a new boat which I'll post about in coming blogs.  

I'm not sure I've caught a fish with Hambone but he has a keep your hook in the water instinct which will surely pay off for him,  


Wallace did spot a large carp, probably about four pounds finning in the shallows. There is probably no telling what kind of fish might be in an urban pond like this. I had a nice conversation with an Englishman who stopped to watch us fish and while we compared British and Texas fish tactics he told me the quarry pond was 300' deep, probably out from the shear rock walls across from the dock. That brings visons to mind of fish that can swallow a Volkswagen  lurking along the bottom and just for a snack they snatch up the city provided blue rental bikes as they sink to the bottom after teenagers run them off the embankments and docks.  

I think the neighborhood bait shop where live bait was available has closed. Maybe next time I bring a pack of meal worms. We might not catch a thing but a day on the water with kids is always a full stringer. 

 

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger