Thursday, March 14, 2024

White Bass on the Neches River...

We hit Chandler River Park to see id we could cash in on the spring Texas white bass run. We fished there once last spring and with the closing of our favorite place white bass spot River Ridge on the Sabine River we are going to be regulars each year here. 

Cathy catches a yellow bass. There's no limit or size restriction on these and while most people are looking to cash in on white bass I think I prefer to eat the yellow over the white as they taste more like a panfish where the the whites are coarser meat similar to a saltwater drum. I think we had about 6 white bass, one 19 inch hybrid striper and the rest yellows to total 23 fish.     

Cathy's brother Matt with a nice 14 inch white bass. All fish caught on road runners with a few taken on regular crappie jig heads. I dress my runners and jigs with the plastic tail of my choice and while we caught a few on each color I tried they seemed to like a white straight tail. Naturally fishing in an East Texas river we hung up and lost a hat full of jigs but I have probably seen worse days for hang ups on low water trips to the Trinity River for white bass. Best bet is to go to Walmart or Academy and buy the multi pack of undressed road runner heads and a couple of packs of your favorite plastic tails. Don't wait till you get near the river. Last year I noted in a convenience store not far from the park road runners were two for $8.   

Hybrid striper. Made my Zebco 33 complain mightily. 


Cathy with the stringer. 


Of course every one wants their photo with the fish


 I suspect this might be a crowded fishing spot once the run is in full swing. A good many cars in the lot and it would be a good place for a small boat or kayak and we saw quite a few.. Last year I installed a trolling motor mount on my canoe with the intention of fishing here but nice mess of fish without it.

We did not walk too far in and I am glad I did not have to drag this stringer up a steep Trinity River band so don't catch more than you can carry.  

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger