Friday, April 23, 2021

Bream Fishing or This Alligator Wants Some of My Lunch...

Bream fish was hot again at Martin Dies Junior State Park. Matt and I fished from the canoe and totaled 15 big ones on 1" crappie sliders. We filleted and cooked them right up as soon as we got home. If you remember my fishing reports from last year these spots continued to be good on into June, which is the last trip I made over here to chronicle on the blog. I think I'll work it as long as I can this year. 

Once again Matt boats three different species with a small large mouth bass, bluegills and this beautiful google eye perch. I used a black with a blue tail slider jig and he used a pink body/chartreuse tail. Funny how the combo of light jig vs. dark jig did not seem to matter. The crappie slider is one of those do nothing lures that you can't fish wrong as long as you fish it slowly.    


We stopped on the bank for a bit of lunch during our paddle and a guest showed up. Can you spot him? He asked if we had any more of them smoked oysters and hot sauce. 


I'm thinking five or six feet. We spotted this guy in the same area but from the road last trip. I guess alligators are territorial. He seems to just hang around in this one particular spot. This area has not been a spot we caught a bunch of fish so I wonder what he's he's eating. Maybe there is a fish holding structure we have not found yet and we just need to ask about sharing.  

One thing about fishing here is that you would think there is a fish by every old cypress but there is not. We seem to have located a few fish holding spots and we rotate around them till we have a fish fry.  

We continued on back the way we had come hitting all our hot spots for a few more fish and the alligator just watched making sure we moved on out of his area. Matt sits in the front of the boat with a "do we have to do this?" posture. 
These are such nice size fish that we fillet them up, rolled in corn meal and fried them up. We did this as soon as we got home. I eat the freshest fish in town and it had been six whole days since I fried fish. I was ready for some swimming in my belly.  





Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger