Thursday, April 01, 2021

How Many Records Were Made, How Many Do I Have and How Many More are There...

 I often browse the thrift stores and flea markets for used records. If in the big city I find stores dedicated to new and used records sales. Thomas Edison invented the phonograph in 1877. It was a device playing metal cylinders. Technology advanced and improved and by 1901 there were ten inch records that played for 3 to 4 minutes. There have been some ups and downs as formats come and go but there have been a lot of records manufactured in past 120 years. In 2020 alone there were 27.5 million records sold in the USA. 

It's staggering to think how many records there might be in landfills. The thrift store had less than 100 on hand to browse but there was a nice selection of big band type music. Not original copies or anything but reissues and compilations of the best hits. They are not collectable so that makes them cheap and it's good music, clear recordings and the records were bought by people who took care of their stuff, not like a rock record that might have hit a dorm room floor a few times in the 70s. 

With all these records made it's a bit daunting to think how many groups there were recording. It still is daunting to think about this now days because it's easier to make a hit in your bedroom than ever thanks to digitalized technology. Good sounding new music can just pass you by but yesterday I found a record by a big band leader I had never heard of, Blue Barron. It's a reissue from 1979. On the back of the cover jacket is an address to write the record company for more information. Try and find that on a digital copy.  


 Blue Barron was born Harry Friedman in 1913. The band's first gig was in 1936 and other than during WW2 when everyone was in the service it continued working till the 60s. They were similar to the big bands of Guy Lombardo in that they played "sweet" as opposed to bands of the era playing "swing." In 1949 Blue had a million selling record with "Cruising Down the River."


Blue Barron has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. He passed away in 2005 and had worked for his brother in law who owned hotels and oil fields since his retirement from music brought on by changing styles of the times. 

I did research the tuba player, Walter Major listed on the album. I found no mention of him anywhere on the internet but he does have a horn like mine and now when you google his name my blog will show up. 

Keep those records out of the landfills! 




  

        

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

😎 Cool!

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger