Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Another guitar story...

Here is another story about one of my guitars. This is part of a series that I write from time to time because of the weird allegiance I have to beat up instruments I have spent many hours with. It should be a long running feature because according to my wife I have about a 1000 guitars. Look back in the archives to see a couple of other guitar stories. This guitar is an Alvarez model 5066. I would think it is a late 70s model. Made in Japan. As Steve Earle says in one of his songs Guitar Town, " never thought I'd get this far on $37 and an Asian guitar." Steve did not say Asian, he's an outspoken kid of guy, but kinder and gentler now than when he wrote that song. Not much info on the web about these, I could not even find one for sale on ebay. I bought this guitar in the early 80s, no later than 82 or 83, so that means I have owned it at least 23 years. I paid a $100 at a pawn shop on Denman avenue that is now a pet store. They had a lot of cool guitars there, I wish I knew what I knew about guitars now then, I would have spent all my money there. I especially remember a Baldwin 12 string. I have a CD by Tedisco Del Ray called Music for Lovers and on the cover he holds a Baldwin like the one I saw in that pawn shop long ago. Oh well so much for the one that got away, back to the one I bought. That $100 also included a ratty worn out cardboard case. Guitar was in good shape, slight crack in the top and some fret wear where the previous owner had played a lot of cowboy cords. You can see in the picture I have put some wear on it too. Action was high on the strings, which is not all that comfortable to play. This was in my early guitar days, so low action that played well was important, it makes playing easier. Now I know that if the action is kid of high you get more tone. This high action/good tone thing lead me to make a discovery as to what this guitar is really good for. One day while fooling around in a guitar book I had I tuned this guitar to an opening tuning. I guess I had owned the guitar a couple of years by now. I had a metal guitar slide, kind of like what a steel guitar player uses except with a hole in it to insert your pinkie and I slid it along the strings. I was immediately able to see where sounds like I heard on old Mississippi Delta blues records were coming from. The high action lent itself to slide playing and the guitar was loud. This old Alvarez guitar became my closest friend during this time of my life. I totally dedicated this guitar to slide, played it all the time, I was not married at the time, awful lonely and quiet around here, I had a bunch of time on my hands. I played on the porch, I played in the living room, in the bathroom, and at many jam sessions around east Texas under tall pine trees late at night. I guess it was about 20 years later I bought a metal bodied resonator, thought I needed it, and some day when I get it really broken in I will write about it. This Alvarez though has been an old friend, something I learned with, something I used to learn something about myself with. It does not get played as much these days. It sits on a guitar stand, tuned to standard tuning, may be someone will pick it up to quickly work out a tune that is on their mind at that minute and they don't want to lose the thought by taking the time to get another guitar out of a case. I offered it to Morgan as a guitar to take to college. I told him he could keep it till he bought one of his own, but it was special and I wanted it cared for and returned at some point. He deferred, I don't know why, but he took the Roy Rogers, our name for a Fender acoustic that no one likes to play, but everyone seems to like to look at, kind of like you would look at a dog with a misshapen head. That's another story though.


Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Dale Churchett said...

Katherine sent me the link to this story and I greatly enjoyed reading it. Having guitars stashed all over my house, my friends houses and my parents house in two different continents I had to grin when I read that your wife thinks you have 100 guitars.

I'm also in the same camp when it comes to action and string guage. The higher the action and the heavier the strings the louder and better the tone. Of course you have to say goodbye to your fingerprints, but it's worth it.

The first guitar I built turned into a dedicated slide guitar as I didn't get enough rake angle on the neck and the action is a tad too high past the 7th fret for conventional play. But since it has a Mighty Mite pickup that is about as hot as a Vindaloo on a Summer Night, it was a perfect match and I inflicted hearing loss on many people in my local town when we started gigging :)

3:12 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

Dale, you should check the action and string gage on my wife's acoustic! Fearsome, she don't want any one messing with it.

I just finished jacking the action up on my old strat last night, three bolt 70s neck is not so great anymore and I mostly play bass with other folk, so figured I might as well make a slider out of it. Once you start sliding, you never go back. I think Brownie McGee said that.

I'll have to check out might mite pickups, I'm kinda in the market for a lap steel pickup right now.

Thanks for reading, check the archives, there are a couple other guitar tales and there will be more.

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kinda like a dog with a misshapen head- I just love your word paintings.-GWB

12:17 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

Yeah, I bought that guitar as a gift for my wife, I learned to be safe and stick to flowers and candy from that experience.

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Harrison Kisner said...

I have one of these I got for my 11th birthday in 1978. Fantastic guitar. I've had lots of pricier models over the years, always return to the trusty Alvarez 5066, the Macon Special. To me, as good as a dreadnought gets. Harrison, hkisner@yahoo.com.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

Thanks for your comments. How come you call it the Macon Special?

5:00 AM  
Blogger demanjum said...

I've bought one of these recently in fantastic shape,barely played. I sent an email to Alvarez and here's this was their response.

"This is the 5066 Macon Special. it has a solid spruce top with laminate rosewood back & sides. MSRP was $299 new circa 1978"

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Carl - I have a 5066. Been having since 1979. I bought it at a music store that had a fire and was part of their Fire Sale. Don’t remember what I paid for it but where I was at that time of my life it had to be pretty cheap or I wouldn’t have bought it. I was in a band and playing electric but wanted an acoustic. The 5066 was seldom played back then but now I play it regularly. It has never been worked on.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger