Friday, March 07, 2008

I just Gotta Comment...

I usually leave the political blogging to others but since I am idled while my eye recovers (doing fine) with boredom killing me this sitting around in my drawers in front of a computer screen has brought me to a subject I will comment on. My wife always warns me not to discuss politics in polite company. I can only assume this is polite company and visitors are here for reasons other than my tantalizing drawers.

Concerns the Race for US Senator here in Texas. A number of candidates in the Democratic field trying to win the right to face a Republican opponent in November. Good common folks interested in good government need to pick a worthy person because the one picked will surely be mowed down by the huge campaign money war chest already raised by his November opponent.

One guy throwing his name in the hat is Rick Noriega. Ask the questions typically asked of candidates. Experienced? He's a state senator. Is he a hero? Answered his country's call to serve in Afghanistan. Looks like point Rick, to me.

Then take this guy. Gene Kelly. Retired. Gets his name on the ballot for some state wide race each election. Never Campaigns. Has not made enough public statements for his opinions on anything to be known. Runs on name recognition alone for votes since he shares a famous name which causes people when they get in the voting booth to say, "sure like his singing, acting, dancing and the time he helped me get my cows off the farm to market road when they got out." In other words we don't know who Gene Kelly is.

Guess who won the popular vote in Angelina and several other East Texas counties? Gene Kelly. Thankfully he lost state wide.

So if you voted for this guy you should be ashamed. If you did not vote you should be ashamed for letting Mr. Kelly get so far along toward success. If you don't think your vote counts, well feller, it would have counted here. If you need information any East Texas newspaper will reveal what a poor choice Mr. Kelly is as a candidate.

All the while our country calls itself spreading democracy around the world.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noriega's got other problems in the name recognition department. His first name is the same as ol' TTC, Good Hair's. Of course, his last name rhymes with that of a certain pockmarked generalissimo the US took great pleasure in kicking around a couple of decades back.

Still, I voted for him, too (I defy my fellow east Texans fairly often), but if Danny Kaye had been on the ticket...

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger