Thursday, August 14, 2008

More Austin Music...

Here is the regular Sunday night gig at Saxon Pub in Austin Tx. It's a band, kind of a revolving cast of folks, called the Resentments.

Left to right, on bass is Bruce Hughes (had some big time pop success in Poi Dog Pondering), on guitar Scrappy Jud Newcomb (plays on a lot of Austin recordings) and a drummer and lap steel guys whose names I forget. Sorry guys. Missing are a couple of regulars, Jon Dee Graham and Stephen Bruton. These guys more than held their own, I think I enjoyed this show more than seeing the complete line up some years ago.

Close up of the steel guy, I am just partial to the slide playing you know.

This was an early show and the following set was by Bobby Whitlock, another regular Sunday night gig. Bobby was the guy who played piano on the famous Derrick and the Domino's album, "Layla." We did not stick around, but instead opted for some greasy Tex Mex at the Magnolia Cafe.

I am always interested in the economics of the music business. I would like to know if guys like these, Bruce and Bobby, who played on a couple of big hit records, made enough money that they can get by on Sunday night "vertical gigs" (look at a calendar, all the days in a straight up line, that's show biz talk) in Austin Texas? Of course Layla was recorded in the early 70s, some of those musicians on that session might be on SS by now and have to keep an eye that the gig money does not exceed the earning limits so that benefits are reduced.
Posted by Picasa

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger