Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Saw Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks...





Here's some more photos of Carl's big birthday weekend. The Saturday Night Surprise was a trip to the Dosey Doe in The Woodlands Tx to see Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks. 




































These guys play a nice blend of 
cowboy/gypsy/western/jazz/swing all done acoustically with a great dry sense of humor. I guess I first heard Dan Hicks in a college dorm room played on a record player in the mid 1970s. He is still going strong.


The Dosey Doe is a great "listening room" as they term it, it's a 165 year old barn imported from Kentucky. Good acoustics and I guess there is something huge in the Texasness of the thought of the carbon footprint left from here to the Blue Ridge from dragging this thing down the highway. 


This concert was something to cross off the bucket list, never really thought I would see the licks play live, probably have half a dozen of their recordings, so this was a real traet. I'll keep an eye on this venue's calendar. It's close enough for an evening trip to see special bands like this.  Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Anonymous Dan-Dan said...

Like you, I think I first heard these folks in college. They put out a Christmas album in 2010 - it was my favorite holiday listen this past year!

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger