Monday, June 04, 2012

My Neighbor Found This Guitar in a Dumpster...


Losing my good neighbors down the road here soon. They are moving to Oklahoma. They stopped by the other day asking if I knew some one who wanted to buy a guitar they to fix up. I said let's see. I ended up basically trading them a tank of gas for this project. 

What they had was an old Ventura hollow body. Ventura is a descendant of the Burno Company which was making guitars before the Civil War. It's kind of a Gibson 335 copy. An educated guess says made some where between 1965 and 1980 in Japan. After 1980 would have had a pointed head stock. Nice maple neck with block in lays on a rose wood fret board. Pickups work, seems like the bridge pickup is fine, loud hum from the neck pick up made Coraline cry. Nothing I can't stand. Bridge is missing, no strings and the nut has had some amateur alterations to it. Probably glued on with super glue which will be the hardest fix. . 

I think for a few bucks I will be able to make this into a decent Hound Dog Taylor slide guitar with a great nasty sound. You know what they say, "Three chords, a red guitar and the truth."     Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How'd you get so smart?

9:24 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

Every one asked me that...

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger