Thursday, January 31, 2013

Jim Reeves Memorial Garden...







Passing through Carthage, Tx you might want to stop and check out the Jim Reeves Memorial Garden. I did. Jim was a country singer born near Carthage and killed in a plane crash in 1964. He was flying the plane. It is noteworthy that he took flying lessons from the same guy that trained Patsy Cline's pilot. That's kind of spooky as was my experience in the garden.

It's a beautiful approach to the garden.  A guitar sidewalk leads up to a big statue of Jim holding his guitar.  The small moon hangs over Jim's head in broad daylight? Is this an omen for me? I'll make sure to never fly a plane to my gigs. If you stop here some time check to see if the moon  always hangs there. 

A nice spray stands nearby. It's not been brought by me. Always here? A secret admirer, never sighted, always leaving something? Or maybe just an old bass player or a drummer that had to start driving a cab after his job went down in a field near Nashville that tragic day. Maybe both visit because there was a small plastic flower near the historical plaque. That looks like the work of the drummer. 

Jim liked his dog. Looks like they buried the dog by the statue.  Nice marker, nicer than folks killed in the unrest in Syria or Mali are currently getting. Probably used a Cadillac for a coffin. It is after all Nashville with nothing we can't fix in the mix.  

Jim had a top 10 hit as recent as 1980 when some studio trickery created a duet with Patsy Cline. I usually play a Jim Reeves song at a dance I play once a month. Runt sings it and it's something requested by a spectator. The guy stands in front of the band and yells "Make the World Go Away." Jim sang a song by that name and my best guess is that since we would not qualify as the best death metal band from Texas he wants to hear that old country  song. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger