Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Announcing My Retirement...

 Not from work, Lord no. The last kid graduates from college this spring so that area of my life will begin to look more like self employment. I am retiring from Taekwondo. It's been at least six months since I worked out at the school and with my membership in the national organization is up for renewal. I have decided to not renew.

While thinking on this I visited the trophy grave yard which is taking up a corner of the tin barn. This is not nearly all the trophies in the decade plus of competitions won by me, Cathy, Morgan and Mary in the years we participated starting in 1999 for Cathy and Mary and the year 2000 for me and Morgan. I had to junk them out here because there were so many in the house. Many have already found their way to the landfill, some have been recycled into craft projects and some still hang on walls and are tucked into storage spaces here in there.

Cathy actually quit some years ago. Morgan has wound down his career with the changes graduation and new jobs bring to your life. Mary still teaches at the Master Olford's Black Belt Academy and looks like other interest have carried me away. 

It was a pretty good run. All of us competed for world champ in our respected age classes at least once with the kids competing several times. I made State Champ in 2008 and 2009 in forms. I am proud of that. It's hard for a big old guy to be graceful. I will forever remember the things I learned at Master Olford's school, The work ethic, the attention to detail and the integrity as served me well as life has changed for me over the last years beginning with a new career after a job layoff. I will hate that the technical stuff will grow hazy in my mind. I also note that my cardiac endurance is slightly lower. The hour walks I take several times a week schedule permitting these days don't bring the same benefit as several weekly sessions in the sparring ring. 

Here's a photo from Las Vegas Nationals 2008. That's me with foot in the air. I guess you could say I was in my prime as far as competition went. I focused more on teaching in the few years after that and let some of these skills slip. 



It's certainly a lot of work going to tournaments to compete. I am glad not to do it but at the same time I will miss somethings. Maybe life will change again. It always does. It sometimes even swings back. You know at age 60 I will be in a new age class...
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Wallace said...

Ship them to me please!! I could make a whole etsy shop out of up cycled trophies.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Carl said...

Hmmm, thanks for the idea.

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger