Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sweet Lips is Crooning the Blues...

 That's the gospel blues as Mudbelly steps out from behind the bass chair of the Back Porch Band and plays a couple of tunes at the Cowboy Church Open Mic Jamboree. In addition to me and the Back Porchers there was a nice mix of folks showing off their talent. We had a great time but don't worry I won't be giving up my vertical gig each Sunday at St Patrick's. 

It is a little different than playing St. Pat's. You do get to play anything you want. Well most anything. The tunes I played got a nice round of applause  I mean I wouldn't play "Flying Saucers." You know how you kind of got to play to your audience? "Flying Saucers takes a bit of a back story for even to most captive receptive groups and beside I do not know if the statue of lemons has expired on my compositional methods yet or not. Besides at an open mic you usually have a two or three song limit and a long story told might be counted as a song just to get rid of you and move along with the evening. 

Any way the gig was nice, the people were nice and it's a pleasant atmosphere. Playing the Cowboy Church with it's wooden walls and western decor is not unlike a gig in an upscale BBQ joint, just a lot cleaner. No nut hulls on the floor, no smoke smell and no large sweating men in grease stained aprons cutting up meat as you stand at the counter waiting and watching. There are large me around. It is cowboys after all, but it's OK. 
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger