Monday, April 29, 2013

A Little New Orleans History...


There's a lot of folks in New Orleans for Jazz Fest this week. Sadly, I am not one of them but that's ok. I made a recent trip there and am happy to report new music is not the only thing you can learn on your visit. 

We were walking through the Treme neighborhood on the way to visit the N.O. African American Museum and the Back Street Cultural Museum when I spotted this Shrine outside St. Augustine Catholic Church. I think you can click the picture of the plaque and read the history for yourself. May our brothers rest in peace and we continue to work so nothing, physical or spiritual enslaves anyone again. 

Note at the bottom the plaque is donated by the Danny Barker Estate. Danny was a great guitarist and Banjo player from New Orleans. Me and Cathy saw him play at Jazz Fest one time. The performance stuck in my mind and though it was pre digital age and I took no pictures to blog about I can still see Danny with the banjo. If we keep our history in mind we know where to go.    Posted by Picasa

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger