Monday, May 27, 2013

My Dad's Medals...


Some months back I filed a request for any of  my Dad's WW2 service records available. Not much is onhand due to a fire in the early 70s that destroyed many servicemens records. I did get these medals which I was not aware of and am pleased with the service of our government which provided them free of charge.

Starting at bottom left is the combat infantryman's badge. Above that is the European-African-middle Eastern Campaign medal with two clusters which mean he got it three times. Middle is the Bronze Star. Don't know if there is a particular incident associated with this but it basically means the recipient was getting shot at. Next is WW2 Victory medal, below that is Good Conduct and the lapel pin is for good service.

My Dad never said much about the war. There is an author who writes books on the 29th infantry division which was my Dad's division. The guys in the movie Saving Private Ryan all have 29th patches on their uniforms.  From the history I have read my Dad's unit "F" company of the 116th battalion was in the thick of things when U.S. troops figured out how to modify a tank to punch through the Normandy hedgerows. I have found mention of him in a data base of 29th morning reports, reported for duty, MIA, hospital with a non battle injury that took place over June and July 1944. That was a few tough weeks. Many did not survive. I am thankful my Dad did.

I have put photos of him in uniform on these pages before. The black and white photo I choose today was in with his bare few mementos. It's tents in a muddy field. Could be Europe or it could simply be Tyler Texas where he did his basic training. Either place was a hell of it's own. Thanks to all.  Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I respect to your dad.....!!




custom pins

2:40 AM  
Blogger Carl said...

Thanks. In my day job I work with the elderly population and I sometimes find that when an old solider tells me what ship he was on, what plane he flew and so it might be more than he has ever told anyone about the war. Old vets are tough, sometimes too tough for their own good and they leave the family wondering about their service. Thanks again for reading.

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger