Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Couple of Instruments Say Goodbye...

Ok, you say, "Mudbelly," and I mean there are a lot of people who say ok, Mudbelly, "you making guitars and stuff all the time you must have a lot of things just sitting around. Yes I do and I got rid of a couple of them. Here's a snare drum and a trumpet that in response to a notice in the church bulletin I donated to St. Patrick's Catholic School. 

The trumpet is a student model and I can't even recall the brand now. It was bought in a pawn shop for very cheap because it did not have a mouthpiece. A cornet mouth piece did not fit it well and I promptly got a bugle mouthpiece stuck in the horn where it stayed for years. Face it, I am a low brass guy. I play the tuba and have recently become addicted to the baritone horn. I am never going to hit the high notes so I am not going to miss the trumpet. I bought a mouthpiece puller, got the bugle mouthpiece out, a nice red lexan mouth piece, and a soft case and dropped the whole lot by the school. I won't even need the mouth piece puller again because I like the mouth piece stuck in my tuba. Keeps me from losing it. 

The snare drum was bought when Morgan began band in the 6th grade. I can't recall now if it was new or used but I do remember it I got it cheaper than the price Tatum music, which supplies most band instruments to the East Texas area wanted for their student model. In fact I own a drum set, currently in use at our country band rehearsal area and  the veteran of many gigs that did not cost much more than the snares Tatum had. This is the snare that turned Morgan and Mary into fine drummers. It's played many gigs in the beginner bands and with the previously mentioned drum set at church, the VFW, jam sessions and parties. It's replacement is a piccolo snare that Pop bought at a garage sale. It's a better drum and our country band drummer always wants to buy it. So I don't need both snares and it's goodbye to this faithful jammer, may many more kids development their music talent beating on you like my kids did.  

So there they go. I don't know what course the school music program may take. I have heard they may do a fife and drum corps. Maybe I'll get to go to a concert and hear these instruments play. Maybe if they need tuba they will call me and I'll get to play. Either way, after all this, there is still more.   Posted by Picasa

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger rosskay62 said...

Baritone horns rock, Carl! They sure do get a lot more respect here in Germany than they did in the US, though!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Carl said...

You find out who disrespect baritones. Names, addresses, employer and so on. I'll see what I can do.

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger