Thursday, May 14, 2015

Strand of Oaks...

Here's a band, Strand of Oaks that is not exactly new to us but they are out with an album released in 2014, Heal that is a more electric, more rocking than the folky type sound on a cd we had by them called Leave Ruin.  Stand of Oaks is essentially a guy called Tim Showalter. We saw them at the Hogs for the Cause BBQ Cook Off in New Orleans. They are playing all the big festivals this summer. 
Seems over the past few years Tim has had some challenges. Marriage broke up. His house burned down. I think a period of homelessness. A bad car wreck. According to the internets some problems with weight. Somehow through all this he decided to rock out. The songs still have some sad content and is music of alienation as with the title "Heal" it's to make you better. I think he is happier playing and rocking these songs out. This band had a huge electric sound. 


This was a new guy in the band. I did not get his name but this was his third show with this group. You would not have guessed it the way they played together. These all seem to be dedicated Fender Musical Instrument guys, amps and guitars. That's a big headstock late 60s-early 70s Competition Mustang Guitar. It's hacked up with a humbucker pickup added in the neck position. 


Left handed bass dude. A rocker. 



As I say pretty huge guitar sounds and both six string players seemed to be using extensive pedal boards I would have liked to get a look at to get a variety of really big reverby sounds. I made a friend while watching this band, the kind of friend who you just start talking about stuff you both like and never trade names or meet again. We talked about the guitar sounds and this guy said that he had worked for famed producer Daniel Lanois when he based himself in New Orleans recording albums for the Neville Brothers and Bob Dylan. I"m a big fan of Lanois and have many of his recordings and records he has produced and recently read his book "Soul Mining." 

Me and my friend hit it off so well that he later brought his boyfriend over and introduced us. Nice folks to watch a show with. As I looked around I think I noted quite a few folks who who were also watching this show who might fall into that alienated outside looking in category that Strand of Oaks is trying to heal in this music. I look forward to where this music may go. I think this guy is on to something pretty good and he is humble and real about it. Not always the case in show business. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger