Sunday, May 03, 2015

It Was Jazz Fest Weekend...

I did not go. I have recently returned from a smaller festival In New Orleans and have not reviewed all the music I saw there but I think The New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival which I first attend in 1983 and have made quite a few of them since might have moved on without me. 

I have a funky book that's called something like "an incomplete History of the Jazz Festival." It has listed the performers each year. In 1983 I saw bands like Eddie Bo, Marcia Ball, Gatemouth Brown, Clifton Chenier, Burning Spear, Pharaoh Sanders and more that don't stick in my mind real well. That's some regional, national, and internationally famous stuff right there. This year they had Elton John and the Who and to give them credit there was still a good bit of the same tropical and southern music that gave the fest such a good flavor. If I were still 16 I would have been pretty excited about the Who and maybe even Elton.  But you know I can't imagine the New Orleans humidity being very kind to 70 year old Englishmen trying to jump around on an outdoor stage. 

Anyway here's another new favorite band, King James and the Special Men.  They play music that sounds like the original R&B that was recorded in N. O. in the 40s and 50s. We saw them at the Hogs for the Cause BBQ Festival. 

That's what's holding me back. No pink pants. 


Great guitar player. Nice clean, spare 1950s Fender guitar/Fender amp sound with beautiful authentic licks to match.
I swear this guy was waiting with us at the bus stop the day before, got pissed off when it was late and started walking. Cathy says it wasn't him. 

King James rocks a flying V guitar. Ok, now I want one of these so it's good bye sitting down to play and let me know if you see a case that fits. 




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger