Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The Power of Water...

With serious threats of flood danger still existing here in Texas and the death toll from the storms still rising I have a few photos I took of people fishing the spillway behind the Lake Somerville Dam. It was quite a situation, possibly hazardous and certainty very wet. They were catching fish but I did not need fish that bad. 
Pretty good dam fishing area. Easy walk down steps to a nice casting platform along the spill way. 

At the top of the steps two big old flat footed game wardens were shaking down a little short man, checking his catch and his license. Folks bringing their catches up the steps were sitting ducks to be checked. I felt a bit sorry for the little short man and if I had been coming up the steps with fish I think I would have told those game wardens to try and write a ticket to some one their own size. 

Guy in the white shirt on the near left and the man and woman in hats are the ones that know what they are doing. People tossing a cast net over the rail got a ton of shad to use for bait. The successful people were catching undersize hybrid stripes (must be 18 inches) and tossing them back. Most seemed close enough for a measurement but no cigar. That's a pretty good fish 3-4 pounds to throw back.  They were also catching lots of fresh water drum. 

I wondered what fresh water drum did with themselves before dam spill ways were invented. Drum can be pretty good eating but must be eaten very fresh, never frozen or they will be rubbery to chew. 

This guy shows his brother in law what he does each weekend. Not a well centered photo but shows the fish on  a stringer and the water they are standing in. 

A good fish in the net and note that one guy has an umbrella out. 
I posted the last photo yesterday. It's Yegua Creek on it's way to the Brazos River. Flooding on the Brazos is reported up around Fort Worth so all that water will soon meet all this water. Also noted was much high water along the Navasota River which also joins the Brazos. 

Prayers for all in Texas affected by this flooding. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger